Monday, September 29, 2014

Reviewing Your Universe

Title:  My Soul Immortal
By:  Jen Printy
Publisher Ecopy Provided
Rating:  3 Stars

Star-crossed lovers with an immortal twist!

Jack’s immortal and hides this fact from the world. When his secret’s exposed, he relocates to another city and continues his off-the-grid lifestyle. His new start hits a brick wall when he meets Leah, a woman that so resembles his lost love Lydia, and he fears for his sanity. A stranger named Artagan arrives in town, knows Jack’s secret, and warns Jack Leah’s in danger. Jack must discover what Artagan isn’t telling him and hope it’s enough to save the woman he loves.

The first few paragraphs sucked me into the story. I wanted to know who Jack really was, why he was immortal and how Leah’s existence related to Lydia, if at all. Ms. Printy’s voice and imagination kept me turning pages, eagerly anticipating the answers I sought.

My interest waned about a third of the way into the book. For me, Jack’s immortal angst weighed on the plot and slowed the pacing. Several scenes were presented with circumstances that were conveniently resolved and gave away what could have been great foreshadowing for a couple of big reveals.

Jack and Leah’s relationship proceeded at more of a normal pace versus the inst-love/lust/like some romances present. I enjoyed the stronger connection that grew over time, although I will say Jack’s feelings for Leah were better shown and developed than Leah’s for Jack. That, however, could definitely relate to Jack being immortal and the narrator of the story.

Artagan came back onto the page farther into the story, and the pace picked up. He definitely added mystery, intrigue and balance to the plot. I look forward to the next book in this series. Each of the characters left me with a positive curiosity, and that’s a great hook to recommend for a series.



1 comment:

  1. You're a writer? Cool shoes. Me, too… kinda, sorta. I know for a fact, however, you gotta whole lotta intelligence behind those two ears, girl; thus, I wanna give you my finite existence: to intrinsically value the Great Beyond which I’ve learned to appreciate, to visualize the fundamental reality of infinity is why I‘m here for a teeny-weeny amount of time. Looky here...

    Precisely why I had our ‘philanthropic + epiphany’ (=so much to give + vision): wanna see a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven?? … yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this advanced, bombastic, ex-mortal Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué-passion you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-smmmokin’-hot-deal enveloping, engulfing us. Cya soon, girl…

    ReplyDelete