Monday, June 13, 2011

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

I know, the movie title is an interesting label for a blog piece but there's a reason. Keep reading.

This weekend my teenage daughters flipped through the television stations until they hit a channel showing The Sorcerer's Apprentice. They both squealed in delight.

"Why are you watching this movie again? You've already seen it?" I asked.
"Because it's a good movie," was the response.

So I started watching the movie. About ten minutes in, a great magic fight scene happened. My husband walked through the living room on his way to the kitchen and stopped. Then he sat on the couch with the rest of us and stayed through the entire movie.

"That was good movie," he declared, when it ended. He stood and went on his way.

Now to be fair, I love just about everything Nicholas Cage has starred in, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice is no exception. I LOVED this movie. But my daughters' and husband's responses got me to thinking. What is it about young adult movies or books that jump the fence and capture adults' attention?

The storyline is the obvious answer, but I don't think that it's the entire answer. How many movie trailers have you watched and thought, "Wow, I want to see that movie," or read a blurb on the back of a book and thought, "This sounds interesting," and then been disappointed because the story itself didn't live up to the description or hype?

So generating interest is more than a storyline. I think the theme of a story is the real answer. Does the main idea, the goal behind the characters' motivation appeal to children and adults? If the answer is yes, well then, you've got got the makings of a great story. Add some conflict, flowing believable dialogue, great humor, and a romantic happily ever after and, Shazam...you've got a great movie or book.

I mean really, we're all adventurous at heart, we all want to be loved, and who wouldn't want to experience a bit of magic? I'm guessing most people feel the same way. Otherwise, nobody would be making movies or writing books filled with adventure, romance and a bit of magic!

1 comment:

  1. So true, Renee. Normally, I'm not crazy about Disney movies but absolutely loved Secretariat. Even though it was true, it contained all of the elements listed above. And the last leg of the Triple Crown - the Belmont - wow!

    ReplyDelete