Monday, August 20, 2012

Reviewing Your Universe


Edge of Passion by Tina Folsom
(Cloak Warriors #1)
ARC provided by NetGalley

Rating:  3 Stars


Tina Folsom came highly recommended as an author. So when I received Edge of Passion from NetGalley, I turned on my Kindle and dove into the story.  Who wouldn’t—the blurb screams interesting: 

Cloak Warriors have been protecting humans from demons for centuries. So when demons discover a way of seducing humans to their side, they jump on the opportunity. Aiden and his fellow Cloak Warriors learn of this new threat to humanity. In order to save mankind, they must protect the one scientist that could unknowingly hand the demons the weapon they’ve been searching for.

Aiden is a strong alpha male, emotionally hampered by a traumatic incident early in his life. His strong, sometimes testosterone laden character is offset by his loyalty and determination to do the right thing.

Leila is a scientist that’s discovered a way to cure Alzheimer’s. Talk about smarts! Once she realizes Demons are real and they’re after her research, she understands how dangerous her discovery would be in their evil hands. Leila is faced with a horrific moral decision. (Don’t worry, she has the moral character to make the right decision.)

Despite the interesting plot and mostly likeable characters, for me, this book could have been better. The characters’ emotions whipsawed often and without much explanation. Also, I understood Aiden’s baggage, but it didn’t make me like him any better when he was being a disrespectful jerk.

Overall, the premise for Edge of Passion was great. I just didn’t connect with the characters as much as I’d have liked. Will I read more of Ms Folsom’s work? Absolutely. Her next book might knock my socks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment