Sunday, October 31, 2010

New Kind of Halloween

My husband and I have been married 23 years. With four daughters, holidays have always been a special kind of busy. Dresses, costumes, pictures, and parties have marked the celebrational journey. Halloween, of course, is one of my favorite holidays. Now that our girls are older, things have changed a bit.

My oldest (22 1/2) has a two year-old son. He is the most amazing little guy. I picked him up very early this morning. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home to get some laundry detergent. My grandson insists on riding in the huge, blue race car shopping cart. No problem.

As I'm trying to push this thing through the aisles withouth running into someone, my cell phone rings. Daughter number two (almost 21) calls. "Hey, mom. Did you get the picture of us in costume last night that I attached to my text?" I had. Somehow, my daughter had convinced her boyfriend to dress up like an airline pilot. She was a stewardess. They looked great.

"Cool. So, we were thinking about stopping by...what are you making for brunch?" I decided on something quick and easy. She loved the idea. "We'll be over in an hour." Ladies, food will always bring your grown children home. Especially if they never learned to cook. I turn the race cart around and grab extra eggs, cheese, linguica, and bagels...then headed home.

My two younger daughters both received texts while I was cooking. Daughter number three (15 1/2)reminded me she had plans to go to a friend's house and hand out candy. Daughter number four (14) had plans to go trick-or-treating with two friends, assuring me this IS their last year.

We made ten dozen Halloween cookies, caramel apples, roasted pumpkin seeds, and I made chili for dinner. Then my grandson left to go trick-or-treating, and all my daughters went about their own business. That left hubby and I home, alone. How utterly strange to have the house to ourselves...on Halloween. I think it's a first.

Hubby just called for me to join him on the couch. Movie's cued up. Grabbed my favorite blanket for snuggling. Not a bad way to spend Halloween...just different. I kind of like it, though. Started out just the two of us. Glad we both like each other enough to look forward to it again just being the two us...eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment