Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reading For?

Now I've gone and done it.

Let me explain. I belong to several reading groups: paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and sci-fi. Each have offered 2011 reading challenges. I've entered ALL of them. That's ten different reading challenges. "Why?" you ask.

I love to read. Go figure, right?

But there's more to it than that. Reading is a huge part of writing. Immersing myself in other worlds allows my imagination to stretch. Each author's voice has its own flavor, and how they put a story together helps me learn more about the craft of storytelling.

So, reading is learning. (We've all heard that from a teacher somewhere!)

Reading is also escapism. When things are tough at work, there's a little too much drama happening at home, (or I'm in an insomniac phase) I reach for a book. Finding solitude and peace between the covers of a book is my kind of therapy. Losing myself in a story makes everything else disappear.

Therein lies my particular weakness. If I don't police myself, I'll read to the exclusion of everything else. I'll go without sleep. I'll let work slide. My writing time gets interrupted. Everyday responsibilities get neglected while I devour the latest book in my hands.

 You see where this is headed?

By entering all of these challenges I've set the stage for a spectacular reading frenzy. But this year, I'm going to manage my participation. I'm a big girl. Reading time comes AFTER work and writing time. I may not finish every challenge I've entered, but I'll make a good dent in my TBR pile...and hey, lucky me, getting through the TBR pile happens to be one of my New Year's resolutions.

Oh, and the upside of policing myself...I make the rules. Lunch hour is free time. Think I'll start my next  book at noon!

No comments:

Post a Comment